Search by keyword:
(Last 30 Days)
US Paratrooper WWII (VPM1) (for Poser)
Neuschwanstein Castle (for Vue)
Detective Holms (for Poser)
Starship Engineering Room 2 (for Poser)
Industrial Set (for Vue)
Starship Engineering Room (for Poser)
Sick Bay (for Poser)
All Best-Selling Products
3D Model Gallery
(link opens in new window)
Home > Vehicles> Aircraft > Bombers
The Handley Page Halifax was one of the British front-line, four-engine heavy bombers of the Royal Air Force during the Second World War. A contemporary of the famous Avro Lancaster, the Halifax remained in service until the end of the war, performing a variety of duties in addition to bombing. The Halifax was also operated by squadrons of the Royal Australian Air Force, Royal Canadian Air Force, Royal New Zealand Air Force and Polish Air Force.
Total Halifax production was 6,176 with the last aircraft delivered in November 1946. In addition to Handley Page, Halifaxes were built by English Electric, Fairey Aviation, Rootes Motors (Rootes Securities Ltd.) and the London Aircraft Production Group. Peak production resulted in one Halifax being completed every hour.
The Halifax entered service with No. 35 Squadron RAF at RAF Linton-on-Ouse in November 1940 and its first operational raid was against Le Havre on the night of 11-12 March 1941.
In service with RAF Bomber Command, Halifaxes flew 82,773 operations, dropped 224,207 tons of bombs and lost 1,833 aircraft. In addition to bombing missions, the Halifax served as a glider tug, electronic warfare aircraft for No. 100 Group RAF and special operations such as parachuting agents and arms into occupied Europe. Halifaxes were also operated by RAF Coastal Command for anti submarine warfare, reconnaissance and meteorological roles.
Postwar, Halifaxes remained in service with the RAF Coastal Command and RAF Transport Command and the Armée de l`Air until early 1952. The Pakistan Air Force which inherited the planes from the RAF continued to use the type until 1961.
There are only two fully restored Halifax bombers in the world. One is a composite aircraft located at the Yorkshire Air Museum, on the site of the Second World War airfield, RAF Elvington.
The other Halifax, NA337 of No. 644 Squadron RAF at Tarrant Rushton, was retrieved from the bottom of Lake Mjøsa in Norway in 1995 after being shot down in April 1945. It was brought back to Canada and restoration was completed in 2005. NA337 is a Halifax A Mk VII Special Duties aircraft built by Rootes Motors, Liverpool and resides at RCAF Memorial Museum at CFB Trenton in Trenton, Ontario, near Kingston, Ontario.
A third Halifax, the Mk II Serial Number W 1048, which was recovered from Lake Hoklingen in Norway where it crashed after being damaged in an attack on the German battleship Tirpitz, was recovered by a "sub aqua" team from the RAF in 1973. It is displayed in its "as recovered" condition in the Bomber Command display at the Royal Air Force Museum at Hendon in London, apart from the nose turret which had already been restored prior to the decision.
On 26 November 2006, archaeologists from the Warsaw Uprising Museum, Poland, unearthed remains of another Halifax (JP276 "A") from No. 148 RAF Squadron, which was found in southern Poland, near the city of Dabrowa Tarnowska. It was shot down on the night 4-5 August 1944 while returning from the "air-drop-action" during the Warsaw Uprising.
On the body tab there are dials to control:
The model contains a basic interior, but does not have a highly detailed cockpit and is not suitable for internal renders.
The model uses diffuse and bump maps, and is UV mapped and textured and scaled to Poser figures.
$18.00 Please Logon or Join Now (for free) so you may purchase this product at pay-what-you-like pricing.
Additional Product Images
Share your comments about this product on Facebook:
| PRODUCTS | ABOUT | PROJECTS | BROKERING | GALLERY | CLIENTS | CUSTOMER PROJECTS | TUTORIALS | FREE ITEMS | LINKS | FORUMS | TOS | NEWS | CONTACT US |
© 2004-2013 VanishingPoint, Inc.